This qualification covers workers who are responsible for the day-to-day running of a before and after school care and/or vacation care service. This includes including planning, implementing and managing programs which address licensing, accreditation and duty of care requirements. At this level:
- Workers have responsibility for supervision of other staff and volunteers.
- In most states this diploma is the minimum qualification required under the national standards for outside school hours care coordinator positions.
2019 intake dates
31 January 2019
This course consists of a combination of theory in a fortnightly online classroom and work placement. Learners who are not employed in the early childhood sector (working with children) will be required to complete 240 hours of work placement (or 120 hours if they already have a prior Certificate IV qualification). Work placement is organised by Gowrie Victoria and supported by visits from a Gowrie Victoria Trainer.
You will learn how to:
- Promote and provide healthy food and drink
- Identify and respond to children and young people at risk
- Use an approved learning framework to guide practice
- Provide an emergency first aid response in an education and care setting
- Develop cultural competence
- Work effectively with Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people
- Support children to participate in school age care
- Develop and implement play and leisure experience in school aged care
- Provide experiences to support children’s play and learning
- Nuture creativity in children
- Foster the holistic development and wellbeing of the child in school age care
- Work in partnership with families to provide appropriate education and care for children
- Implement strategies for the inclusion of all children
- Establish and implement plans for developing cooperative behaviour
- Analyse information to inform learning
- Develop teams and individuals
- Coordinate the work environment
- Provide mentoring support to colleagues
- Promote children’s agency
- Design and implement the curriculum to foster children’s learning and development
- Establish and maintain a safe healthy environment for children
- Maintain work health and safety
- Facilitate compliance in education and care services
- Develop and implement policy
If you have previously completed a Certificate IV in School Age Education:
If you have previously completed a Certificate IV in Children’s Services or have no prior industry qualification:
Please note that Gowrie Victoria is an approved Skills First provider.
Further information on our Course Fees can be found on our Fee Information, Funding and Loans page.
- Learners must meet the Language, Literacy and Numeracy (LLN) skills standards for Diploma SAEC level study.
- Learners must obtain a Working with Children (WWC) Check.
- Learners must be at least 15 years of age and be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- If you are currently employed you may be eligible for a traineeship.
- Gowrie Victoria encourages people with disabilities to apply. Approval will be subject to the person being able to undertake all tasks and requirements of the course.
- OSHC Coordinator
- Program Leader
- Group Coordinator
- Service Director
- Group Leader
- Service Manager
- Vacation Care Coordinator
- Team Leader